The OCDL is excited to announce the dates for the 2020-2021 season.
- Workshop – September 19
- Scramble – October 24
- Holiday Tournament – December 5
- Winter Classic – January 30
- Spring Tournament – March 13
- OCDL Championship – May 15
- Fall Tournament – November 7
- Winter Tournament – February 6
- Spring Tournament – April 24
The 2020 Orange County Debate League Digital Workshop will take place on Saturday, September 19th. Students will have the opportunity to take online classes taught by experienced debaters and coaches. There will also be a demo debate at the beginning of the workshop, during which current debaters will demonstrate what an advanced debate looks like. Unlike the previous years, students will not have to pay a fee this year; however, a $15 donation is suggested (please see below).
Classes offered at the workshop will include:
- A-R-E-I Arguments
- 4 Step Refutation
- Advanced Opposition Strategies
- Debate Basics
- Heckling and Points of Information
- Importance of Speaker Roles
- Introductions and Conclusions
- Logical Fallacies
- Making Great Use of Your Prep Time
- Persuasive Public Speaking
- Stock Policy Issues
- Strategic Topic Narrowing
- Weighing Impacts
- Award-Winning Notes
The League will also be offering free judge training classes for any students, parents, or volunteers that want to get certified.
Students are encouraged to attend the workshop to help further their knowledge of debating. We look forward to seeing you all there!
By Krishna Thaker and Mackenzie Mauldin