On Saturday, November 2nd, eighteen OCDL students (and a few of their parents) attended the New York Debate League’s Fall Tournament at West Side Secondary School in Manhattan. The tournament featured roughly 120 students from local schools including Dalton, Nightingale and the Hackley School debating the following topics:
- Schools should be year round
- Adolescents should have the right to make their own medical decisions
- Museums should return artifacts to their country of origin
Each year the OCDL creates travel opportunities for debaters interested in competing against other leagues around the country. This year the OCDL is proud to announce a trip for students to try another style of debate: public forum!
Check out the invitation here.
And dowload the application here.
The topics for the tournament on February 1 are as follows:
- Managed retreat plans are BAD for coastal communities
- Daylight savings time should be permanent