Following its mission of increasing student involvement in debate by providing quality debate opportunities to students across Orange County and beyond, the Orange County Debate League offers three high school tournaments each year. There are currently no league dues to join the high school tournaments, hosted by various schools, including Los Altos High School. They are open to any interested individual and team debaters.
Feel free to share tournament information with others.
Tournament Dates for the 2019-2020 season:
Nov. 16 - Fall Tournament
Feb. 15 - Winter Tournament
Apr. 25 - Spring Tournament
Nov. 16th resolutions:
Guidelines and OCDL High School Rules of Debating and Judging:
Each tournament will be 4 rounds and follow a high school parliamentary format. Download the OCDL high school debate rules here.
The OCDL asks all teams to provide one judge per two teams attending the tournament, with a minimum requirement of 1 judge. The more experienced judges are preferred, but at the moment, there is no certification requirement for judges. Lay judges will be allowed. Formal training and certification will be introduced as the number of participating schools grows.
Registration (for coaches):
Skip to step 3 if you already have a Tabroom account and a school profile. If you have participated in an OCDL tournament before, skip to step 4.
3. Join the OCDL circuit (click on your email at the top, select your school from the 'Institutions' list, click the Circuits tab, and select Orange County Debate League).
5. You should see the following link in the list of tournaments. Select the 'Register' button.
6. Fill in adult information and save.
If you do not need to add new students to your roster, skip to step 11.
7. Select your email address at the top. Then select your school from 'Institutions'.
8. Select the 'Competitors' tab.
9. Select "Add a new student" in the top right.
10. Enter student information and repeat until all students are entered.
11. Select your email address at the top. Then select 'Entry' for the desired tournament.
12. Select the 'Entries' tab. Then click the blue 'Add entry in' button.
13. Select your competitors (two or three person teams) and save.
14. Select the 'Judges' tab. Then add existing judges from the dropdown or add new ones to the roster.